Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Living without a role model!!!

In capricious arguments with a very good friend of mine, I took name of a leading contemporary historian as my role model because she was insisting upon to reveal a name that I consider as role model. Though, I angered her by sweeping remarks on the topic of discussion ‘which is the best academic institution in India?’ I was batting for my alma mater which she refuted saying it can be among ‘one of the best list’ not the best. Yes, even I realized I was arguing pointlessly and eventually had to surrender by buying her arguments that ‘one of the best’ or ‘one among leading’ is a safe position as far as categorization and comparison are concerned.

On the fillip side of it, I got an opportunity to introspect as do I really have a role model in that leading historian? If yes, then why? If not, then who is it whom I can call a role model and would like to emulate the person? Or the even wider question emerged was why I needed a role model? In fact, why should I seek one all the while knowing that we the humans are very much fallible? Only those who are sacrosanct or infallible qualify to be role models. And, no one is infallible in this world. If at all we want a role model, we must have the courage to flay theirs wrongdoings.

Yes that leading historian is one of the finest teachers I have ever seen. He is a living legend in academic circle. He is an extraordinary phenomenon. But the man is not infallible. He is not beyond criticism too. Recognition as a fearless exponent of Marxist historiography rained down on him. This very commitment to Marxism made him extremely dogmatic in his approach towards history writing. His allegiance to Marxism prevented him from criticizing CPM’s misrule. I know being think-tank of CPM he could have immense influence on Bengal politics. At least he should have tried to prevent the politics of incessant violence resulting in deaths of poor cadres. I am still waiting for any initiative from him asking CPM cadres to shun violence. After all, violence breeds violence.

Still an admirer of his academic caliber but now I am clear on one thing: He is not my role model. Rather I would not like to have one as it will restrict my ability to act as maverick.

Sorry my dear friend I take back the name. Henceforth you can consider me a man without a role model.

1 comment:

  1. Better late than never. Congratulations for your liberation! Good you have grown up!

    ReplyDelete