Friday, August 27, 2010

Am I being educated by daily dose of news or it has corrupting effect on my mind?

When a friend of mine put her facebook status saying she was having a very strong feeling about India TV making a program on ‘Paul, the octopus as Vishnu ka avatar’, I was not amazed neither it filled me with Nitrous oxide. Though she is one of the funniest persons around, and I should have laughed it away as one of her jokes. But this was so believable that I feared it was coming on India TV. After all, any stupidity can not be ruled out from India TV. And, why only India TV, most of the Hindi news channels are in the same league. They thrive on mythological stories aimed at capturing the imagination of people thus making them fear from the unknown and unforeseeable future. That’s why they so often predict the doomsday!!! This is simply an abuse of news channel license.

What comes on India’s number one Hindi news channel at 11.30 prime time is not only misleading but offensive as the repulsive anchor in her promo of the program ‘Tez Taare’ says “Tarraqi milegi ya nahi ye to sab bata denge, lekin Boss ko ‘khush’ kaise kia jaaye ye kaun Batayega?’ How offensive the word ‘Khush’ seems here. For me, it’s an audacious example of corruption of language. Not to mention here about Datti Maharaj of India TV. Watching these channels can make you believe: cancer can be cured by bamboo sticks; there is a grave full of life; Kalp viriksh (wish tree that had emerged during Samundramanthan) is somewhere around in Delhi etc. Mind it, most of aam aadmi is gullible like me— believing what is shown on the powerful medium of the masses.

I watch all news channels and a few entertainment channels too. Since entertainment channels are busy selling telebrands, robbing people with SMSes based games and often staged reality shows, I am left with no option but to believe what aajtak, India TV etc. present as news.

As seeing is believing goes an adage, I, now believe in ghost, haunted-house, taare, tarrot cards, rashis and stories beyond reasons that suspend my ability to disbelieve. Am I being educated by daily dose of news or it has corrupting effect on my mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment